Please read the following instructions carefully.
Stages of the application process:
- Step 1: Fill in online application, providing detailed information, regarding qualifications and choosing a membership type, which is most relevant to your core qualification. (ex. If you have a Sports Therapy Diploma, or certificate, please choose membership type: ‘Sports Therapy’).
- Step 2: Once you have applied, please send us proof of your qualifications and insurance, either via post, or scanned and e-mailed to [email protected]. You will then receive an e-mail stating whether your application has been successful. If yes, then please go ahead and pay for your chosen membership type.
- Step 3: Once we have received your qualifications and payment you will receive an e-mail containing your certificate and ID number, along with more detailed information, regarding your membership benefits. Please allow 96 hours for processing from the time you send in your qualifications.
Sports Therapy Organisation (STO) Membership Terms and Conditions
1. Membership is open to therapists who hold a qualification which is recognised by the STO. We reserve the right to change this requirement at any time, without notice.
2. In all cases, full members must hold qualifications that meet minimum standards of training, up-to-date insurance and a first aid qualification.
3. If you do not have current insurance, you will need to obtain this within 10 days of membership acceptance. – Failure to obtain insurance within this time will result in membership being cancelled. Any refund of fees paid will be minus an admin fee of 30%.
4. We do not accept qualifications that are completed purely by distance learning for practitioner level membership. We reserve the right to refuse any application.
5. Regarding our Gold membership, you can pay either the full amount, or the set amount for a set period of 3 months. Our memberships are annual, starting from the date of payment. If you decide to pay in instalments, just keep in mind that you are contracted to pay the full amount over the course of 3 months. Failure to make payment will result in the balance full balance being requested within 7 days. Failure to pay all the instalments will result in removal from membership with no refund of any payments made, and you will not be accepted back into membership for a period of 2 years.
6. Once you have received your membership certificate or accessed the members-only page, refunds are not possible. It is your responsibility to ensure that if you do not want to automatically renew your membership, you chose this option on your profile when you first apply. The same applies to any payment method you use. STO are not responsible for overpayments as we have no access to your financial accounts. Any overpayments requiring a refund will result in a 30% admin fee being applied. If you are paying by instalments, we are not responsible for you cancelling your payments. If you fail to cancel your payments when the balance has been paid, we reserve the right to charge a 30% admin fee for any refunds that may become due. Please ensure you cancel your payments when necessary and if you decide not to renew your membership.
7. If you do not send us the correct information (certificates and insurance) within 10 days of applying, we will cancel your application and make an administration charge of 30% of the fee paid.
8. All members must abide by the STO Code of Conduct and any other Code of Conduct that we adopt. Any members failing to abide by the Codes, will be sanctioned. Sanctions can range from membership suspension or removal. In all cases, refunds of membership fees will not be given.
9. It is necessary for STO to contact our members as part of our terms of business. All members must opt-in to receiving contact from STO. Shall a member decide to opt-out of contact, membership shall cease with no refund of any fees paid.
10. Any member that has accessed the STO Balens Block Insurance scheme is reminded that cover is only valid with current membership. Should any member not renew their membership, stop paying for membership, or cancel membership, we will contact Balens to inform them of this under terms of the agreement.
If you have any questions, regarding the application and approval process, please contact: [email protected]
Our membership is open to the following:
- Sports Massage Practitioners
- Sport & Remedial Massage Therapists (Level 4 & 5 for full membership)
- Sports Therapists (Level 5 and above)
- Sports Massage Therapy qualifications are not accepted for Sports Therapy level membership, please join as a Sports Massage member.
- Sports Rehabilitators (Level 5 and above for full membership)
- Physiotherapists (either working in sport or with post-grad sport qualifications) (BSc for full membership)
- Sports Podiatrists (BSc for full membership)
- Equine Sports Therapists (Level 4 and above for full membership).
- Advanced Clinical Massage & Sports Massage Therapists (for holders of Jing Level 6 qualification)
- Please note, whilst we do look at your qualification, we also need to check the amount of ‘classroom’ based training that you undertake.
- Your membership ‘type’ will be that of your core qualification.
Examples of qualifications and membership:
- Joe Bloggs – Level 5 Diploma in Sports Therapy: Joe Bloggs MSTO, DST
- Joe Bloggs – Level 5 Advanced Diploma in Sports Therapy or Foundation Degree in Sports Therapy: Joe Bloggs MSTO, AST
- Joe Bloggs – BSc Sports Therapy: Joe Bloggs, MSTO GST
- Joe Bloggs – Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage: Joe Bloggs MSTO, SMT
- Joe Bloggs – Level 5 Diploma in Sports Massage: Joe Bloggs MSTO, DSM
- Joe Bloggs – Physiotherapy Member
All memberships are annual from the date of payment. Membership fees are £120 for gold membership package; £40 for silver, graduate and affiliate membership package; £24 for student membership package.
All member entitlements are only available whilst you have current insurance. Access to free training and discounts will cease if membership lapses. There will be no refund of any membership fees paid. Free training courses cannot be carried over until the following year.
Not acceptable qualifications
We do not accept qualifications from the following providers:
- British School of Yoga
- Stonebridge Associated College
- Open College Network
- Barnes School of Sports Therapy (if undertaken as sole training course)
- Sports Therapy Education (if undertaken as sole training course)
We do not automatically accept the following qualifications, so to speed up application, please ensure you state:
- Place of study
- Classroom hours
- Name of external examiner
Qualifications affected: ITEC, VTCT, ActiveIQ, Lincoln College.
If you wish to join STO but do not have a current insurance policy, and want to use the discounted insurance from our partner, you will have 10 working days from applying for membership to produce your insurance certificate. Details of our insurance partners will be given once membership has been applied for. If you do not obtain insurance within 10 working days, we reserve the right to cancel your membership and charge an admin fee.
Please note, it can take up to 10 working days for your payment to clear, please allow this time for your application to be processed. We cannot process any application until your payment has cleared. Usual clearance times: Cheques up to 2 weeks; PayPal up to 3 working days.
Please send a cheque, payable to Sports Therapy Organisation, along with copies of your insurance and qualifications, to : STO, c/o City Therapy, 79a Lever Street, Manchester, M1 1FL. For a faster service, pay online, through PayPal. (If you pay online with Paypal, we will still need copies of your certificates and insurance sending by post, or scanned and emailed)
Gold Membership Benefits
Gold Membership Benefits from 1st May 2016.
- Access to customers using Healthshield Medical cashback scheme
- Access to customers using Westfield Health cashback scheme (this is a trial under the Mosiac Corporate scheme, please check directly with Westfield)
- 15% Discount on Physique Management Company products –www.physique.co.uk
- 20% off Human Kinetics Books and DVDs
- Up to 20% off KT Taping
- Free Fast Track CNHC registration validation (fee for non-members £15, please note this does not include the CNHC registration fee charged by them directly)
Click here for application form
- Access to £6,000 000 liability insurance, including legal cover for £49.75 per annum (through 3rd party – STO do not offer insurance directly)
- Access to free workshops in Manchester and London
- Access to subsidised workshops in Manchester and London
- Free online course in Sports Psychology; Sports Nutrition; Life Coaching or NLP – for members paying in full.
- Free online ‘bitesized’ courses for CPD points
- 30% off Pepperfit products http://www.pepperfit.com/
- 45% off Rocktape and 10% off Rocktape workshops
- 10% off Sporttape and Sporttape workshops
- Monthly newsletter
- Access to exclusive event work with the STO events team
- Standard listing on STO ‘Find a Therapist Register’
- Access to STO logo clothing available to purchase
- Use of STO Members Logo (full members only)
- Discounted entry to the biennial STO Sports Therapy conference
- Plus discounts from various other suppliers coming on a monthly basis!
Cost: £120 per annum. The fee can be paid in 3 monthly payments of £43.00 (includes a £9.00 admin fee for instalments). (Some benefits will become available when all payments have been made).
Silver, Affiliate and Graduate Membership
Silver membership is open to those with a minimum Level 4 Sports Massage qualification and above. Graduate membership is open to holders of a BSc in Sports Therapy – for the first year after graduation. Affiliate membership is open to Level 3 Sports Massage therapists only.
Affilate members are allowed to use the STO logo on their website – but not the STO Member logo. A copy will be sent to you for use upon request.
Silver, Graduate and Affiliate member benefits:
- Access to all STO discount codes
- Use of STO Logo on website
- Option of listing on STO website
- Access to discounted insurance through 3rd party insurance company (overseas members will need to check availability and eligibility)
- FREE online bitesized courses which can be used for CPD purposes
- Access to STO subsidised training courses
- Monthly newsletter
- Access to STO Vacancies and Events private Facebook group
Cost: £40 per annum.
- Student membership is available to anyone studying for a sports therapy related qualification
- Benefits include:
- Monthly Newsletter
- Access to subsidised training in Manchester and London.
- Free online ‘Bitesized’ courses
- STO member discounts on goods and services
- Access to STO event work (voluntary work only, some expenses may be paid)
- Access to insurance (through third party) at £15 per annum
- Annual Fee: FREE for students on recognised courses, please check for clarification if unsure.
Please note: If you are studying at an STO accredited school, please ask your tutor to register you free of charge. (Free student membership is only available whilst you are in training).
- A guide to STO membership descriptors. All STO members can be distinguished by the initials MSTO after their name. Members will also have an abbreviation of their working title displayed, details of which can be found below. It is personal choice whether a member uses the abbreviations, however, use of the initials MSTO will serve to promote our organisation and its members. Affiliates can use the initials ASTO.
- MSTO – Member of Sports Therapy Organisation.
- DST – Diploma in Sports Therapy (Level 5 or Foundation Degree)
- AST – Advanced Diploma in Sports Therapy (Level 5)
- CST – Advanced Diploma in Clinical Sports Therapy (Level 5)
- GST – Graduate Sports Therapist (BSc or Level 6/7)
- SMT – Sports Massage Therapist (Level 3)
- SMP – Sports Massage Practitioner (Level 4)
- DSM – Diploma in Sports Massage (Level 5)
- SRM – Diploma in Sport & Remedial Massage (Level 5)
- Phys – Physiotherapy
- Pod – Podiatry
- GSR – Graduate Sports Rehabilitator
- ACSM – Advanced Clinical & Sports Massage (Level 6)
- EqST – Equine Sports Therapy
- EqSM – Equine Sports Massage
Important Notice for Applicants
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR APPLICANTS
TO APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP, WE NEED THE FOLLOWING:
- 1) COMPLETED ONLINE APPLICATION
- 2) COPIES OF QUALIFICATIONS (EITHER SCANNED/PHOTO AND EMAILED, OR POSTED, AND INSURANCE IF AVAILABLE)
- 3) PAYMENT
- 4) IF APPLYING FOR STUDENT MEMBERSHIP WE WILL REQUIRE PROOF, EITHER IN THE WAY OF LETTER OR EMAIL CONFIRMING YOUR STATUS.
IF YOU WISH TO OBTAIN OUR THIRD PARTY INSURANCE POLICY, ONCE YOU HAVE APPLIED TO US, AND PAID YOUR FEE, IF YOUR APPLICATION IS ACCEPTED, WE WILL SEND YOU DETAILS. WE WILL THEN NEED A COPY OF YOUR INSURANCE DOCUMENT WITHIN 10 WORKING DAYS OF YOU RECEIVING YOUR MEMBERSHIP.
WHERE INCORRECT INFORMATION HAS BEEN GIVEN BY THE APPLICANT WHICH LEADS TO A REFUND IN FEES, WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHARGE A 30% ADMIN FEE.
To pay in instalments, please choose your membership level below.
Payment options are:
- Gold Membership – 3 monthly payments of £43.00